Saturday, April 12, 2014

Drying Food for wilderness trips

This time of year some of us are getting on the trail and others are still preparing.  We all have our own way of rigging and getting ready for multi staged wilderness trips.  I have developed a system over the years that involves drying my own backpacking food.  About 2 months before I start a trip I dry my own beans, tofu jerkey, stirfrys, pasta sauces and any reasonable meal leftovers.

My dryer is a top motor stack that air drys 4-6 trays.

It also has clear plastic sheets that are for leathers and drying liquid things

On the PCT a hiker introduced me to dried yogurt.  .Yogurt will dry into a chewy leather, and you know how you will sometimes miss that creamy dairy flavor. This stuff is nirvana after a few days out.


Sauce leather before processing to powder
A big item for us is sauce.  You can only eat so much Knorr noodles before they all taste like crap.  I dry red Pasta Sauces, Strogonoff sauce, and Alfredo Sauce.  You dry them into leathers, then chop them into powder.  I keep sauces in big plastic jars and put them and some dry beans in my bounce box.  To reconstitute the sauces you spoon or pour some hot pasta water into the ziplock and knead (in a high altitude windy camp this process is therapeutic) By the time the pasta is ready the sauce is ready to toss with the hot noodles.
Stroganoff
Marinara




I also dry a lot of beans to add protein to Knorr sides.  I like black beans, lentils and white beans.  You can be gourmet and cook the beans then dry them.  I buy canned, rinse them, then dry them.



Missing fresh veggies?  The trick to fresh veggies for me is to dry frozen peas, corn and various mixes.  Anything that dries bigger than a pea should be processed in  food processor until the bits are smaller or they will take too long to rehydrate.  You can dry spinach fresh from the farmers market -- just put it on the tray and dry it.  It tastes so good out there.

I know a lot of you are stoveless.  I have dried and reconstituted cream cheese, Yogurt, fruit smoothies and lots else.  I make my own tofu jerky.


The best thing about drying your own food is it makes your house smell fantastic.  And you get the benefit of healthy diverse food on those long trails.

Happy Trails
Mamamoab




9 comments:

  1. Do you have the recipes on your blog? elsewhere? favorite resource?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch the gossamer gear newsletter. I just wrote an article for them with a couple of recipes. Most of my recipes come in the post come form vegetarian Lipsmackin Vegetarian backpacking. This book has pros and cons, some of the recipes have long cook times and are super heavy. I am working on a Thruhiker cookbook with submissions from real hikers. I will see about reprinting some of my favorite dryer recipes from Lipsmackin

      Delete
  2. I'd like to start dehydrating my own meals for my John Muir Trail hike this summer to make tasty meals, and get away from instant mashed potatoes every day. I want to get away from commercial freeze dried meals (cost, bulkiness, flavor), but also want the simplicity of boil-in-bag meals. My question is...how do you know how much water to add to a variety of meals, particularly since you are using a flexible bag, rather than a rigid measuring cup. I don't want to heat extra water (just in case the mixture is too dry) and I don't want to have to restart my alcohol stove to boil more water. Maybe I'm making this too hard. Also, any good books/websites about dehydrating boil-in-bag meals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best strategy for thru hiking is to dry add ins like beans and veggies and sauces that can be added to convenience store junk to make wholesome meals. A good strategy for me has been to pack the home dried stuff in a seperate ziplock, at breakfast put cold water to cover then hike with it wet all day then you mix it into to whatever starch is your base. Bases can be potatoes ( I like to mix refrieds and mashed potatoes) cous cous, instant rice, ramen. Most of those Knorr meals can have hot water poured over them and after 15 minutes in a cozy be semi edible (halve the water) Some you might not think of are wheat bulghar and quinou. When you ar drying vegetables chop them small and they will rehydrate better. Chop carrots very small they do not rehydrate well.The cookbook I have been using for years is Lipsmackin Vegetarian Backpacking. It has lots of recipes that are useless and heavy but some are fantastic. Watch the gossamer gear newsletter, I wrote an article for them that has a few recipes, it should come out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Nesco American Harvest:
      http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-Snackmaster-Food-Dehydrator-FD-75A/dp/B0090WOCN0/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1397833696&sr=1-3&keywords=nesco+american+harvest+food+dehydrator

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed your post. I dehydrate a lot of my own food. Just finished a few pounds of banana chips. Tell me about the cream cheese. Anything special you have to do during drying or reconstituting? How long does it keep?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last batch I did was whipped strawberry weight watchers. I find the lower fat keeps better. Make sure you dry it thoroughly without burning it. Then grind it fine in a blender. When rehydrating it dribble water in and knead gently. It will always be pasty but it tastes good. I've thought about kneading a bit of butter in to give it more texture and richness. I will try to post more recipes soon

    ReplyDelete