Monday, March 9, 2015

Spring Break


Jay grinds in a snow storm at Canaan Valley in West Virginia.  We skied at Canaan Valley and Timberline.  

Then we traveled down to Cumberland Island National Seashore, GA for some gear trials.


This is the remains of an African American community from the 1800s.  The white house was the church.



The island has many armadillos.  These guys don't even run from Utah.



Kevin and Jay were packing their new Advanced Elements Inflatable Kayaks.  At 4 Lbs they are very packable.  The paddles are a little harder to manage.


I am sporting lots of new gear.  Here Utah is curious about what is in my UrSack



Here Kevin and Jay are trying out the new kayaks.  Luckily it was a very warm day.




I tried out my sleeping system for the AT.  A gossamer Gear Spinn Shelter made of Spinnaker cloth.  Inside I have an Equinox Mantis bug screen and an Equinox Sprawler Bivy.
http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/sleep-screens/mantis-sleep-screen.cfm
http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/tarps-and-bivis-and-ground-cloths/sprawler-ultralite-bivi.cfm
With tent stakes and ground cloth the whole thing weighs 1.5 lbs


Plum Orchard Mansion was built in 1898 for George Carnegie.



Here I am sporting my newly repaired 2010 Gossamer Gear Mariposa.  My niece Lara Eventide is a gifted seamstress and patched it up with some super tough dyneema.



Jay and Kevin enjoying the beach near Stafford Camp


Here we are waiting for our ferry ride back to our car.  

It was a fantastic trip.  

On the drive back home I realized I leave for the AT in 10 days!
On Wednesday March 18 I board the Go Bus in Athens at 5:05 PM for Atlanta then Hiker Hostel picks me up and gets me to the trail on Friday March 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment