Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Whats in your bag?

What is in our bags?

Item image 
One big heavy backpack by Lowe Alpine  5 lbs 10oz
northface youth backpack  : The North Face Terra Youth 55 Pack    
one smaller backpack 4lbs 1 oz


  marmot helium  : Marmot Helium +15 Sleeping Bag 
one very light Marmot Helium sleeping bag 2 lbs 2 ozs





CARRIBEAN DREAM 
One  heavy sleeping bag 3 lbs 14 oz

Sleeping Pads
Thermarest UL small 8 oz
Thermarest Light 3/4 12 oz

Old Tent

6.4 lbs with a Tyvek footprint, stakes and guy lines


Flex 3 Cookware System
Cookset 2 lbs 6 ozs   Are you kiddin me!   We are bringing the small pot, the lid and two aluminum Esbit cups.  Jay carries this.

We stuff this stove inside the cookset:PocketRocket canister stove3 ozs.

We also have an alcohol stove made out of a boyscout popcorn tin and an old fondue pot alcohol burner


Then there's our clothes.

Jay and I each have a pair of zip off pants, a t shirt, Long john bottom and top, Jay has a fleece sweater and a down jacket.  I have a fleece longies, a down jacket and a long sleeve vented fishing type shirt and a sweater.

I think our clothes outweigh everything else but maybe the tent. Mine weigh 3 lbs 10 oz

We have two water purifiers an MSR mini works pump style filter. It weighs 1 lb dry. Utah will carry it.

MiniWorks microfilter

MIOX water purifier
I carry a Miox. It uses electolysis to oxidize salt water. This oxidization solution is then poured into you  water bottle and 20 minutes later you get yummy city tasting water.

The miniworks works best with Nalgene type bottles.  Utah will carry two of these.  Jay and I will each have a camelbak type bladder, and we will augment this capacity with gatorade bottles acquired in town stops.

We are also carrying a lot of electronics two mp3 players, a cell phone, 2 headlamps, a charger, batteries and a digital camera.

Then of course Sunscreen, bug juice, lip goo and toothpaste/brush, mini hairbrush and hairbands, floss and a sewing needle a few large safety pins

The first aid kit weighs at least 3 lbs.  I just can't go out there unprepared for backcountry medicine.  I have high altitiude meds, pain meds, tummymeds, bandaids, antibiotics, prednisone, cortisone cream and bandages plus my 7 oz backcountry medicine guide.
And of course lots of vitamin I (Ibuprofen)

Maps, curriculum and books add another 16 oz.

That's 24 Lbs for me! So much for Ultralight.  I need to put my pack on a diet.

















No comments:

Post a Comment